[Dbix-class] IMPORTANT: A discussion of DBIC governance and future development

John SJ Anderson genehack at genehack.org
Thu Oct 6 23:59:17 GMT 2016

I’ve been watching this conversation unfold from the sidelines, and as an extremely infrequent user of DBIC (but highly interested Perl community member and sometimes Open Source community manager), I haven’t felt the need to participate before now — but I’m afraid there’s something that’s being overlooked a bit. To wit, the last five words of:

> On Oct 3, 2016, at 14:32, Peter Rabbitson <rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us> wrote:
>
> While the project does not have a bright future under my (now likely moot) plan,

Riba: I would still very much like to hear the details of your plan, including but not limited to who you were intending to pass FIRSTCOME perms to, and what you and/or their vision of the future of the project was going to look like. I think people have been reading between the lines of some of your emails and extrapolating from there, and I’m not at all convinced that the picture people have in their heads is accurate. The only way to get an accurate picture is for you to explain what your plan is.

I think the basic plan Matt has outlined seems broadly reasonable (I would maybe quibble with a detail or two, but overall, it seems sound enough) — but that doesn’t mean it’s the _only_ possible reasonable plan. Given your long and careful stewardship of the project, I’d hate for you to leave without explaining your vision of the future of DBIC. By not explaining it, I think, you’re not fully and robustly discharging your final responsibilities to the project, in my opinion.

And finally, ObThanksForAllYouveDone. I think, whether you fully realize it or not, you’ve had a huge impact not only directly on DBIC but also in demonstrating the type of care and attention to detail that’s needed when bearing the responsibility for something as widely used as DBIC. Cheers, and I look forward to buying you a beer or six when I next get the chance. 8^)

john.