[Dbix-class] CPAN release requested (was Re: Traffic pattern changes ahead)

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Fri Oct 7 21:20:45 GMT 2016

On 2016-10-07 1:34 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
> On 2016-10-07 10:08 AM, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> <snip>
>> master (dc7d89911b) itself is *in a fully releasable state*. It passes its
>> extensive CI checks. It has also been tested against downstream dependencies
>> extensively as indicated in the commit message of dc7d89911b. With that being
>> said - it is not in a state of completion I would have shipped it myself (what
>> is mainly bugging me are the missing warnings).
>
> Thanks a lot for this message!  My primary concern has been addressed by it.
>
> While you didn't yet implement everything you wanted to, the actual work that
> you performed is committed and you consider the codebase to be release-ready as is.
>
> Even if you don't do anything else on the codebase, you have then left a strong
> legacy and people will benefit greatly from all the work you did so far, which
> is not wasted.  Also, you did finish many of your checklist items 100% even if
> not all of them.
>
> That being said, I say more power to you where you want to write/commit the
> other pieces that you would prefer to ship, particularly the warnings.
>
> Thanks again for all your work over the years, DBIC users are better for it.

As a followup, having now read all posts to date...

Peter,

I would like to formally request that you make an actual CPAN stable release of
DBIC (presumably with prior _N release candidates) at your earliest convenience,
using the current master branch that you consider releasable.

While you still have the "first come" and as you did prior releases.

This would be a more public (more or less) last hurrah so the user base can
actually use more easily all the work you did, rather than release of your
latter commits being up to whomever follows you in the project management.

Let what you have be something you can draw a line under with an actual stable
release.  Then, whatever follows, will be publicly relative to that and not some
other release lacking your latest work.

Actual CPAN releases are a more solid marker of a point in time than a git commit.

If you are able to commit further work per your plan, you can always do another
CPAN release with that, but in the meantime I think it is important to get out
what you currently have now, and start its RC process.

Future project direction should not invalidate releasing what you currently have.

If anything, releasing before the possibly controversial further changes like
added warnings would most likely be a GOOD thing.

Thank you in advance.

-- Darren Duncan