[Dbix-class] A slightly more concrete proposal

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcat.co.uk
Sat Oct 8 14:07:46 GMT 2016

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 08:17:08PM +0000, Matt S Trout wrote:
> Since people seem to be unsure as to what the alternative to riba's project
> freeze would actually be, let me provide something a little more concrete.

Minor adjustments.

(1) castaway currently holds the SQLT first-come bits and ilmari the SQLA
and DBICSL ones. So I'd propose that if we go with the core team plan then
the DBIC bits get handed to frew.

That way we ended up with an initial core team set up of "the three first
come holders, the project founder, and an arbiter of stability".

(2) As for the arbiter of stability position ... I'm not sure. I wasn't
honestly expecting riba to be quite so closed mouthed there. I stand by the
statement that if whoever riba picked comes forward themselves, I'll happily
add their name to my proposal, but if not, I think you lot are going to have
to figure out a way to pick one yourselves, since the whole point of this
slot is to provide a brake on the rest of us.

(3) This isn't really a third point but I like numbering things: Please
please everybody remember this is a vague draft, you're allowed to propose
adjustments yourselves, oh and if somebody has a plan they think is better
then write it up and propose it - if nothing else, a second plan will
provide for concrete comparisons to refine this one rather than it being
passed through by default.

(4) Same statement as 3, but with an added point: You don't need to have me
back either. Frew's right that I can be kind of an asshole (hell, one of
the reasons I wanted him on this team was because he has a knack for making
me realise I've done it again in time to do something about it), and I've
been mostly gone for a fair few years, and I don't have a concrete vision
here because I was rather expecting riba to do something more sensible than
this so I didn't expect to need one. But I'm happy to try (and there's no
need to reply to fluff my ego if you -are- ok with tolerating me again, I
just don't feel like people whispering 'takeover' later).

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/