[Dbix-class] Let's call things what they are 1/2

Peter Rabbitson rabbit+dbic at rabbit.us
Thu Oct 13 13:20:08 GMT 2016

On 10/13/2016 12:35 PM, David Golden wrote:

> Your various emails give the impression that – if the project were going
> to continue under your unilateral control for a period of weeks or less
> – you were planning to do a bit of final work in preparation for a
> successor to carry out a "freeze"  (bad word for it, I know, but I don't
> have another)
> By saying that you won't do this work because the community isn't
> supporting your vision for the future of the project (or because you
> feel your position was "vacated"), it's not clear whether that refusal
> is  because:

I already articulated the main obstacle in [1]:

> Given the long-established goals/priorities of this namespace, and mst's
> *technical* track record, it is my immutable opinion that
> DBIx::Class has no future as long as Matt Trout has any privileged (i.e.
> not a mere user) influence on DBIC's governance and direction.

May I suggest that instead of trying to break down this clearly
articulated "event horizon" in the context of "interpersonal leadership
squabble", you reevaluate the presented evidence/claims in the light of
"does this in fact endanger the existing project userbase going forward?"

But to answer your question, I will repeat again: as an individual I
need more clarity on what is happening governance-wise before I can say
clearly and on record what and why I am doing after this "singularity".

> That was not my intent and I apologize for making you feel that way.  I
> don't think you're obligated to deliver anything.  I'm asking if there
> is anything you feel you could deliver – which is an explicit
> opportunity for you to say "no" and thus is not a demand.
> You might want to consider re-calibrating what you are interpreting as
> "pointy".  When I say something like "It would be helpful if we could...
> understand if there is still outstanding work you feel you could
> deliver...", I think that is pretty far from being either pointy or
> demanding.  Phrases like "helpful", "understand" and "you feel you
> could" are all signals that I'm trying to defer to your feelings about
> the situation.

A request made in the politest way possible, is still a demand when it
comes from "higher office". Graham articulated this way better than I
could in [2].

Cheers

[1] http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/dbix-class/2016-October/012284.html
[2] http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.modules/2016/10/msg96217.html