[Dbix-class] GOVERNANCE: An actually concrete proposal w/bootstrap governance system

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Tue Oct 18 21:20:14 GMT 2016

Ashley> On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 2:28 PM, John Stoffel <john at stoffel.org> wrote:
>> I'm just amused by all the verbiage flowing by, but no code, cries for
>> help with the code, etc.  If it's all such a pain in the ass, just
>> free what's here and fork the project.  Sheesh... that's the open
>> source way.

Ashley> I've been involved with this project since before day one, John, and
Ashley> I've been one of the bigger evangelists for it. I *was* considering
Ashley> forking or starting over before RIBASUSHI came and started to fix the
Ashley> fallow codebase, when MST had disappeared saying only a complete
Ashley> rewrite could fix the deep problems with the codebase.

I don't the history of this package.  Nor do I really care.  But I do
recognize how hard it is, and how much work it is to keep up
maintenance of *any* open source project over the long haul.  When the
original auther stops being interested, or gets hit by a bus, or any
one of a multitude of potential problems.

And then when someone comes along and resurrects things and improves
them, it leads to feelings of accomplishment and ownership.  Nothing
unusual there.  It's when the project starts falling silent again,
that things get wonky.

Ashley> I am not amused by any of this, least of all by your reply.

Sorry, I'm just sitting on the side lines watching all this fly by and
not really seeing much progress.  But that's ok, I'm not even a major
user or developer of the package.  I probably should have just kept my
mouth shut.

In any case, I'm just happy to see progress.

John