[Dbix-class] GOVERNANCE: Aggregation and conclusion

Fernan Aguero fernan.aguero at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 12:53:56 GMT 2016

+1 on this proposal.

everyone should be happy with this. From reading silently all the proposals
in this thread, it is clear that we all want DBIC to move forward, if that
means letting RIBA have the namespace and MST and the new governance to be
able to work on DBIC freely, then separating the namespaces is the most
sensible and pragmatic thing to do IMO.

If RIBA does not have time or willingness to keep working on DBIC or
contributing code, then the old namespace dies, as many other Perl modules
and namespaces do. It's called evolution.

The worst that can happen is active development in both namespaces, and
then having the problem of parallel (convergent, duplication of , efforts;
or divergent) in any case, paradoxically that would be a good thing!

But being a biologist by training, just let me say that we shouldn't care
too much about how the project will evolve. You cannot direct or guide
evolution, you just see it happen.

Let's not be dramatic about this, it happened to all the BSDs in the past.
FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, ... forks for focusing a critical mass of
developers on different aspects (security, portability, etc). They still
share and exchange code and ideas, or even big architectural changes when
something developed by one project makes sense for all others.

Let's fork, let go of namespaces, and move on!

--
fernan

--
fernan