[Dbix-class] Please review my proposed CPAN Module: DBIx-Class-Schema-VersionCheck

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Fri Jan 6 14:17:58 GMT 2017

On 01/06/2017 01:58 PM, Daniel Böhmer wrote:
> Hello DBIC devs and users, escpecially fREW,
>
> I poured some work of mine into a dedicated Perl distribution and think
> about
> uploading it to CPAN. My hope is to get some feedback from you.
>
> Currently you can find the code only on Github:
> https://github.com/dboehmer/DBIx-Class-Schema-CheckVersion
>
> Before uploading it to CPAN in the first place I'd like to know:
>
> - Are there any existing modules doing the same job?
>
> - Before occupying the namespace: Do have any thoughts on the name?
>
> Even after uploading I am interested in:
>
> - bug reports
>
> - feature requests
>
> - patches in form of Github Pull Requests
>
> - ideas how to enable automatic calling of check_version() during connect()
> but still allowing deploying and therefor connecting to any empty DB w/o
> check
>
> Here's the story of what the module is about:
>
> I am adopting DBIC::DeploymentHandler in a project I'm currently working
> for.
> We agreed on having having a check on server startup to see if the database
> has the same version as our schema. It wasn't trivial for me to find out
> how
> to do that but the result are a few pretty generic lines. You can inherit
> the module from your schema class and call check_version()
>
> I am looking forward to your feedback and releasing the module.
>
> Kind regards
> Daniel Böhmer aka DBOEHMER

Hello Daniel,

we are using DeploymentHandler for all our projects with DBIx::Class.

I'm really fond of it, but it lacks some scripting stuff like querying
the versions and running the prepare and upgrade scripts.

I created a module to support scripting:

https://metacpan.org/pod/DBIx::Class::DeploymentHandler::CLI

I also coded a helper for custom scripts, which are also a fantastic
part of DeploymentHandler, but you can't easily test them right
now. This will be part of a subsequent release.

Regards
        Racke

> Searchable Archive:
> http://www.grokbase.com/group/dbix-class@lists.scsys.co.uk