[Dbix-class] PROPOSAL: Relinquish firstcome rights to Peter Rabbitson

Matthew Phillips mattp at cpan.org
Wed Jan 17 01:31:11 GMT 2018

After some internal communication with DBIC team members (which spurred the
bootstrap removal that passed today), I am sending in this proposal to
enact Andrew Beverley's 2016 proposal[1] to reestablish Peter Rabbitson's
FIRSTCOME rights and overall control of the DBIC project.

I believe if there is any chance for this project to continue moving in any
direction, this step must be taken to allow ribasushi to continue his
excellent work on DBIC, which stopped approximately a year ago. To be
clear: there has been not a single code-related commit to the dbix-class
repository since ribasushi left [2][3]. There is even a sizeable amount of
work[4] that Peter left in master, that has not been touched and has no
chance of release.

I have spoken to ribasushi, and confirmed that his circumstances currently
allow him to take the project further, on the condition of reestablishing
his BDFL status. Given the events of late 2016, I find his preconditions
beyond reasonable.

Pragmatically, If there is any hope of this project not being marked
officially dead, it will need to be driven by someone with both time and
technical ability. The last year+ is ample evidence that ribasushi still
remains the only person interested (let alone capable) to do so. There is
noone else.

On the chance that someone does decide to vote against this proposal, I
request you that clarify _why_ you are choosing dormant project death over
activity driven by Peter.

Thanks
Matt

[1] http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/dbix-class/2016-October/012399.html