[Dbix-class] PROPOSAL: Relinquish firstcome rights to Peter Rabbitson

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Wed Jan 17 02:30:00 GMT 2018

Now that this was brought up by a third party, I am weakly inclined to support
Matthew's proposal (but this is NOT an official second), and here are my current
thoughts on why:

1. First note that I don't currently use DBIC myself nor do I currently work for
any company that does, though I did in the past and I might in the future.

2. A year back I weakly supported Matt's proposed governance model gaining
FIRSTCOME; that is, I voted in favor but didn't have a strong opinion either way.

3. Despite the sizeable userbase of DBIC and vested interests in it, at the end
of the day no one under Matt's governance model has actually put in the level of
effort to make more releases or cross the finish line, so as far as the public
is concerned this project has been stalled for a good 18 months now.  I grant
that there are a number of active branches in the git repositories, but nothing
delivered.

4. From what I've observed over the last year, Peter Rabbitson still has a
strong vested interest in continuing to make releases of and improvements to
DBIC, even to the point of discussing and arranging for an elaborate kludge on
the way CPAN modules are normally installed in order to provide upgrade paths
for his users, including his own workplaces, without their having to make
changes to their own code to account for module renames etc.  These kludges were
very begrudgingly accepted by the perl5-porters from what I could see, but no
one is truly happy with it.

5. I believe that if Peter is given back FIRSTCOME and primary control of the
DBIx::Class namespace, he will continue to make new quality releases, helping
the user base, and also his installer kludge of sharing the namespace would go away.

6. To be honest with the current status quo I already recommend against using
DBIC at all for new projects, and I certainly wouldn't want to use it myself
under present circumstances.  Partly its my own sensibilities, I don't really
like ORMs in principle and think a better database design is to use SQL stored
procedures (which can be versioned) as THE database API, such that what database
tables actually exist is considered internals that no applications should have
tight coupling to, which is what DBIC and other such ORMs do by their nature;
just a thin DBI wrapper to take away boilerplate for calling the stored
procedures in Perl is useful.  But even if I didn't feel that way, DBIC
currently feels like a dead project that I don't feel would get any decent support.

Bottom line, I support Matthew's proposal, but not strongly enough to be the
proposal seconder, because I make effort to avoid having a horse in the race.

-- Darren Duncan