[Epo-ec-advisors] Some thoughts on areas to address in the EC

mike at altrion.org mike at altrion.org
Fri Jul 17 07:09:31 GMT 2009

> Strawberry has basically been the template idea I've been working off
> of. "Like Strawberry but for Perl Companies instead of Win32" is sort
> of what I've been telling people.

There are, I think, two distinct areas of the problem space we need to
address here.

1) providing a nice, painless and standard way of getting a box up running
the Extended/Enterprise Core. (The equivalent of getting a full JEE stack
up on a server).

2) providing a nice, painless and standard way of getting Your::App up on
a box running the EC (see RubyGems, .jar/.war, .egg, $OS's packaging
system...)

They do overlap, but I'm a subsciber to mst's view that "Perl is your VM,
CPAN [or in this case the EC] is your language", so the EC is part of the
language, not part of Your::App.

Like it or lump it, cpan and cpanp aren't painless, not if you're working
for site ops/systems who potentially don't speak modern Perl and just want
something quick and hassle free that Just Works. This is where .jar and
its ilk win for 2).