[Epo-extended-core] Working Group Charter

Chris Prather perigrin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:21:30 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Mike Whitaker <epo at altrion.org> wrote:

>> * Identify domains that need modules chosen and establish a process for
>> ongoing maintenance of these domains.
>
> It might perhaps be instructive to look at J2EE and RubyGems as possible
> lists of functionality we need to support.

J2EE has always to me seemed like a solution in search of a problem,
and are RubyGems something other than "CPAN Packages for Ruby"?

Ideally I'd like to have several people like mst, Cory, stevan, and
obra who are CTO/CIO level people who can help guide us toward a
common set of problems that a Perl shop will face over the course of
time and we can have a recommended platform of tools available for
them ... or at least sketch out the domains. On the Application level
( see Cory's response outlining the difference between App and System
) I can see things like ORM, Web Framework, Email, Template System all
cropping up. On the systems side are things more like Event Framework,
OOP Framework, "DBI", Data Format modules (JSON, YAML, XML, Config
Files), etc.

I'd just like to establish a process up front for defining the scope
of the EPO-EC before people start asking for their favorite Module to
be added.

-Chris