[Epo-grants-in-progress] Discussion?

Mike Whitaker mike at altrion.org
Thu Jul 30 07:21:43 GMT 2009

Scott McWhirter wrote:
> Some sort of discussion will ensue?

Re the following, I assume:

 > So Cloudtone Studios would like to donate money to the Enlightened
 > Perl Organization for use in a 'Special' grant.
 >
 > The aim of the grant is to increase a more business centric attitude
 > to Perl and the CPAN and looks to fund proposals that meet the usage
 > objectives that we'll set out. Initially I'd like to start with a
 > single grant of $250 USD to see how it pans out, with the aim for it
 > to become a quarterly grant, perhaps with more funds down the line.
 >
 > We'd like to have some say over which proposals are chosen, but with
 > heavy advice from EPO and hopefully we'll all reach consensus anyways.
 >
 > Our hope is to raise awareness that perl is a tool for businesses and
 > that we can keep up with market needs too.

IMO, this is definitely a good idea.

One major area I'd like to see looked into (as previously discussed on
this or other lists) is packaging, specifically painless ways of rolling
out Perl apps onto front-end servers by sysadmins who don't know the
first thing about CPAN.

It's an issue we're facing at the BBC as well, and definitely could use
some love.