[Epo-marketing] Thoughts on writing marketing stuff

Chris Prather perigrin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 18:42:09 GMT 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:28 AM, Mike Whitaker <mike at altrion.org> wrote:

> - In a similar vein, promote Perl, rather than knock down other languages.
>
>        Comparisons are fine. Fact corrections are fine - "Actually, Perl
> does do X'... We're not in the business, I don't believe, of selling Perl as
> the best language ever (even thought it is :) :) :) :) ), but of repairing
> the perception of Perl as an enterprise language.

Actually this should apply to more than just Perl vs Language X. We
have too much bitter infighting between Perl projects. Jifty vs
Catalyst vs blah. The recently blow up on shika vs. Mouse really
needled me, less so because Shika was re-writing a wheel but because
of the number of comments I heard about how "stupid" that was. If and
when we (as an organization not as people) *ever* want to criticize
something ... something from Language X or something from inside the
Perl community, we need to keep the same bar ... and keep it raised
incredibly high. Infighting looks just as bad as being nasty to
guests.

-Chris