[Epo-marketing] Proposal: 52 Weeks of Perl

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 19:03:59 GMT 2008

I have an initial proposal that should have immediate feedback.
Please respond with any comments, questions or ideas.

I propose that we (the EPO) initiate weekly contact with an
Industry-respected publication (either in print or digital format) to
establish a series of articles favorable to the packages and
methodologies backed by the EPO.

The articles or interviews should be based specifically towards the
audience of the publication, as evidenced by my initial suggestions
below.  I propose contact be made no later than Tuesday, with one
contact to each publication per week.  This should give significant
time to carefully responding and being attentive to each publication,
without crowding our own schedules to the point where something falls
through the cracks.

Initial list of publications to contact (all in print, digital
suggestions welcome), along with a proposed angle:

CIO Insight - Saving time and money with OSS and CPAN
Public CIO - Saving time and money with OSS and CPAN
Website Magazine - Rapid application development using leading Perl practices
Baseline - Leadership, "What can OSS do for your business in
atremulous economy" (hiring, passionate devs, etc)
T.H.E. journal - Perl in Academia (Perl as a student programming
language, Summer of Code?)
CSO - Writing secure perl applications (not sure if the EPO wants this)
eWEEK - Perl beyond the duct tape
InformationWeek - Upcoming Perl (5.10 and beyond)
KMWorld - Upcoming Perl (5.10 and beyond)
Redmond - Perl on Win32 (perhaps get an ActiveState/Strawberry person
in? Is this for the EPO?)

And... for more print publication ideas, magazines.com has a good
listing to browse through (and is powered by
perl+catalyst): http://freemags.magazines.com/category/browse/270

Thanks,
-Jay