[Epo-marketing] Proposal: 52 Weeks of Perl

Mike Whitaker epo at altrion.org
Wed Dec 3 20:42:17 GMT 2008

On 3 Dec 2008, at 19:03, J. Shirley wrote:

> I have an initial proposal that should have immediate feedback.
> Please respond with any comments, questions or ideas.
>
> I propose that we (the EPO) initiate weekly contact with an
> Industry-respected publication (either in print or digital format) to
> establish a series of articles favorable to the packages and
> methodologies backed by the EPO.
>
> The articles or interviews should be based specifically towards the
> audience of the publication, as evidenced by my initial suggestions
> below.  I propose contact be made no later than Tuesday, with one
> contact to each publication per week.  This should give significant
> time to carefully responding and being attentive to each publication,
> without crowding our own schedules to the point where something falls
> through the cracks.

Sounds like an excellent plan. Particularly, I'd hope this allows us
to get more folks drawn in to help contribute - there are a lot of
excellent folks out there with EPO-aligned views I want on board.

Also, I trust whatever schedule we work to will allow epo-marketing
(which I'm seeing as the EPO publicity/marketing working group) to
review/provide help for any articles/interviews so that they're on-
message and well put together.

> Initial list of publications to contact (all in print, digital
> suggestions welcome), along with a proposed angle:
>
> CIO Insight - Saving time and money with OSS and CPAN
> Public CIO - Saving time and money with OSS and CPAN
> Website Magazine - Rapid application development using leading Perl
> practices
> Baseline - Leadership, "What can OSS do for your business in
> atremulous economy" (hiring, passionate devs, etc)
> T.H.E. journal - Perl in Academia (Perl as a student programming
> language, Summer of Code?)
> CSO - Writing secure perl applications (not sure if the EPO wants
> this)
> eWEEK - Perl beyond the duct tape
> InformationWeek - Upcoming Perl (5.10 and beyond)
> KMWorld - Upcoming Perl (5.10 and beyond)
> Redmond - Perl on Win32 (perhaps get an ActiveState/Strawberry person
> in? Is this for the EPO?)

I bow to the experts here - I'm not familiar with the target
publication field at all. TBH.
Mike Whitaker - mike at altrion.org

--
Mike Whitaker    | Perl developer, writer, guitarist, photographer
mike at altrion.org | Board member, http://www.enlightenedperl.org/