[Epo-members-announce] Adding Padre, the Perl IDE as and EPO project

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcat.co.uk
Mon Feb 15 15:05:14 GMT 2010

For the tl;dr crowd: vote +1 with some notes.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 01:52:39PM +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> Anyway, some more items why Padre is important for Modern or Enlightened Perl:
> Padre has now two objectives
> 1) To become the preferred development environment that comes with Perl

Preferred *graphical development evnironment* please.

I'm definitely in favour of that, things like EPIC are stunningly awful.

> 2) Become a platform for desktop application development

That would be really, really nice.

But I'd also like to see Padre's refactoring etc. stuff extracted as well
- it would be nice if there was a "building rich features into editors for
perl" toolkit, and given the preponderance of non-GUI editor users that
strikes me as a way to extend into "preferred rich development environment
construction kit" - the refactoring and similar tools should be available
anywhere somebody's willing to integrate them into the editor. Hell, an
independent command line front end to this functionality even -I- might use!

> 1) Once Strawberry Perl Professional for Windows is released

Once *that* happens, you have traction.

So I'm in favour of Padre becoming an EPO project at the point Strawberry
Pro ships, and would prefer to time the announcement with that. Also has
nice cross-marketing potential, which given (as I noted on the -marketing
thread) Padre's poor visibility as something people actually use I think
would be a benefit to the project.

Ergo: +1 but let's time the announcement right.

--
        Matt S Trout         Catalyst and DBIx::Class consultancy with a clue
     Technical Director      and a commit bit: http://shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/