[Epo-members-announce] Beermats for Promotion at events

Mark Fowler mark at twoshortplanks.com
Sun Jan 31 09:05:28 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Mark Keating <m.keating at shadowcat.co.uk> wrote:

>  If you have any comments then please make them soon. All board members can respond in the usual manner.

So, I was thinking about this more last night, and I thought of some
more comments.

I'm a bit worried that these mats don't really have a "call to action"
on them.  Putting myself in the shoes of a non-Perl techie receiving
this mat, what would I think?  What impression does the mat give me?
Why would I bother typing in the URLs?

I'm afraid the only thing the mats are really currently conveying is
that there's a project that's got a logo.  They're not presenting the
advantages of each of the projects.  They're not really increasing
overall awareness of Perl (apart from the perception that Perl
projects all have random logos that have nothing to do with each
other)

How about some simple text on the front instead that directly conveys
information?  I'm thinking something that looks like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3685637/mark/epo/catalyst.png

Suggestions for text:

The web framework with 17,356 reasons to use it
Catalyst: The elegant MVC framework.  Powered by the CPAN providing
over 17 thousand open source extensions to Perl.

Still writing SQL?
DBIx::Class.  Build an object model from your database automatically
in seconds and use the full power of Perl to control your database

Not Your Father's Perl
Moose: The postmodern object system for Perl 5. Experience the joy of
Perl's new slick object handling.

Feedback (including "it's too late to change this") welcome.  If you
want me to knock up the other two mats (and make the one I did knock
up production ready) let me know.

Mark.