[Handel] Build problems on OpenBSD 3.8

Sean Comeau scomeau at obscurity.org
Wed Dec 7 09:18:37 CET 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 06:05:52PM -0800, Sean Comeau wrote:
> It seems that handel 0.28 is having trouble generating a Makefile.

With lots of help from Chris I have managed to get Handel working for
real on my OpenBSD 3.8 system.

Quick fix summary for anyone else who encounters this problem:

Edit lib/Handel.pm and remove APR::UUID.
---[ before ]---
$VERSION = '0.28';

BEGIN {
    use Handel::ConfigReader;

    $Handel::Cfg = Handel::ConfigReader->new;

    my $uuidsub;

    if (eval{require APR::UUID}) {
        $uuidsub = sub {
            return APR::UUID->new->format;
        };
    } elsif (eval{require UUID}) {
        $uuidsub = sub {

---[ after ]---
$VERSION = '0.28';

BEGIN {
    use Handel::ConfigReader;

    $Handel::Cfg = Handel::ConfigReader->new;

    my $uuidsub;

#    if (eval{require APR::UUID}) {
#        $uuidsub = sub {
#            return APR::UUID->new->format;
#        };
#    } elsif (eval{require UUID}) {

    if (eval{require UUID}) {
        $uuidsub = sub {

Then 'perl Makefile.pl && make test' will be fine. I followed instructions
in this article: http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2005/11/17/handel.html and
it all works.

Also make sure you run your test against the right version of Apache if
you aren't using the one that comes preinstalled in /var/www. That caused
some confusion here.

  make test APACHE_TEST_APXS=/path/to/apache/bin/apxs

See http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=513773 for more about this APR::UUID
issue on OpenBSD.

Hopefully a better fix can be found soon.