[html-formfu] setup() method

Tobias Kremer list at funkreich.de
Wed Jul 11 12:42:14 GMT 2007

> On 11/07/07, Tobias Kremer <list at funkreich.de> wrote:
> > which makes my element appear twice in the form if placed inside a block
> > element (e.g. a simple_table) because my setup method is called once in
> > ObjectUtil and a second time from the block element.
> >
> > Any ideas on how to fix this? Is it really neccessary to have the block
> > element call setup again for all the elements it's enclosing?
>
> I'm in holiday mode - so my mind's already going fuzzy - hope there's
> still enough of it left to help...
>
> Where abouts in ObjectUtil is it being called?

In _require_element right after populate()

> Why's the setup being called twice?

For the first time for every element in the form (via ObjectUtil, see above)
and then a second time if an element is contained within a block element
because block.pm overrides setup() to call setup() on every sub element
of itself. So setup() is called twice for elements which are contained in a
block element.

> What does your custom element subclass? And what elements does it contain?

It subclasses multi to build up a three-select-field date element. See the
other mail I just fired off to the list.

> Is the problem that your custom element's setup method is still
> calling SUPER::setup() (extending) when you should be overriding
> setup() ?

Nope, it's not :)

Thanks!

--Tobias