[html-formfu] very, very slow initially

Carl Franks fireartist at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 07:17:03 GMT 2007

On 27/09/2007, Josef Chladek <josef.chladek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 27.09.2007 um 00:35 schrieb Carl Franks:
>

> >> I am using a lot of DBIC models/schemas, had the C3::XS stuff
> >> installed before (on my notebook I even use perl 5.9.5 which is
> >> really fast in loading all the classes). I tried to debug further and
> >> reduced my show to the following
> >>
> >> sub show : Local : FormConfig('auth/show.yml') {
> >>      my ( $self, $c ) = @_;
> >> }
> >>
> >> without ANY dbic call it takes as long as described above, if I
> >> remove the
> >> : Local : FormConfig('auth/show.yml')
> >> it runs immediately.
> >> all my other controllers run with no delay after startup, what
> >> happens when FormConfig is executed? I even removed the
> >> __PACKAGE__->load_components(qw/HTML::FormFu .../);
> >> part from my DBICs - no change, still it takes so long...
> >> my show.yml was reduced to '---', still no change.
> >
> > Did you remove the DBIC model from your 'lib/MyApp/Model' directory?
> > Otherwise it might still be getting loaded (can't remember for sure).
> >
> > How long does t/04basic.t take to run?
> > Need a baseline to see how fast/slow your server is.
>
> sorry, here are my results:
>
> prove -l t/04basic.t
> t/04basic....ok
> All tests successful.
> Files=1, Tests=7,  1 wallclock secs ( 0.54 cusr +  0.04 csys =  0.58
> CPU)
>
> server is pretty fast normally...
> removing all my DBIC models makes it fast again. but even if I use
> formfu without fill_formfu_values, why does it matter that I have a
> lot of DBIC models? hmmm...

Catalyst automatically loads all the packages it finds under
MyApp/Controller, MyApp/Model and MyApp/View - at startup, not on
demand - so it knows what's available.
This is definitely a DBIC issue - not a FormFu issue.

Search the DBIC list archives for a thread with the title "Startup speed".
With the suggestions there, the OP managed to get his startup time
from 19s down to 2s.