[html-formfu] UTF-8 data and FormFu

ivorw ooe5-kj0i at xemaps.com
Wed Jul 23 15:40:02 BST 2008

I have a problem whereby an app of mine is behaving differently on
different boxes. The app is using Catalyst and HTML::FormFu.

The app has a form with a textarea, and when I type any non-ASCII
characters, I get different results.

On one machine (my dev machine) I type a pound sign or an accented
letter, and this is passed back to my application as it is, i.e. £.

On the other machine, the character is encoded in UTF-8, and appears to
the application as £

Through debugging, I've worked out that the first machine is doing the
right thing, and is receiving a UTF-8 string. I can use substr to
identify that it is correctly processing the characters as UTF-8.

I've configured the second box to have the same default locale, but it's
still failing.

Any thoughts?