[html-formfu] Re: constraints_from_dbic

Ian Wells ijw at cack.org.uk
Fri Mar 13 10:26:27 GMT 2009

2009/3/13 Carl Franks <fireartist at gmail.com>:
> 2009/3/13 Ian Wells <ijw at cack.org.uk>:
>> 2009/3/10 Ian Wells <ijw at cack.org.uk>:
>> OK, the data_type name came out of the DBIX::Class schema dumper, run
>> on a Postgres database.  (The schema it produced wasn't portable.)
>> I've fixed the schema to use more portable data types (varchar,
>> specifically), which should stop the above problem happening.
>
> Ok, though it's probably reasonable for us to support "character varying".

This in particular would seem to be an issue with the way DBIx::Class
works.  The database uses a datatype, and DBIx::Class doesn't abstract
the datatype but keeps it as-is.  So the code for this in FormFu is
database-specific when, after DBI and DBIx::Class, it really should be
database agnostic.

> I would agree that constraints_from_dbic() has suffered from bitrot.

I've got nowhere with it yet on forms, and I can't see what I'm doing
wrong, but I'll give it another try with a tidier schema and see what
comes of it.  I have a couple of ideas for what I want, but it has to
work first.

--
Ian.