[html-formfu] Client side validation in ExtJS

Moritz Onken onken at houseofdesign.de
Wed Mar 25 11:21:31 GMT 2009

I thought about client side validation, too. I think this is an
absolute must for FormFu::ExtJS.
There are a few build-in validation constraints which can be accessed
pretty easily via ExtJS iteself.

Like:
  - Required becomes { allowBlank: false}
  - Length becomes { maxLength: xx, minLength: xxx }

there even maxLengthText and allowBlankText which allow us to set the
error message which is set in formfu.

There is also a regex config option. So we can implement even more
constraints with that. Problem is, that there can be one regex per
field only. So this is a big limitation, I'd say.

For now I would implement those easy to implement cases I mentioned
above. For more complicated constraints like Constraint::Regex (this
is a good example for a constraint which you cannot port
to JS because the regex engines are too different).

I use plugins in some of my components. They are great and you can
even create a plugin inline:

plugin: new (function(){ function init(component) {} })()

this way we are independent from javascript which has to be
initialized before the form is created.

Depending on your plans with client side validation on FormFu itself,
this might be a good
way because we can implement constraints which base on the "Others"
contraint.

moritz