[html-formfu] Speed of processing

Carl Franks fireartist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 15:40:00 GMT 2009

2009/11/2 Octavian Râşniţă <orasnita at gmail.com>:
> From: "Kahlil Hodgson" <kahlil.hodgson at dealmax.com.au>
> On 10/30/2009 08:37 AM, Octavian Râşniţă wrote:
>
>> You are probably right. I don't think I understand very well why the
>> form should be cloned,
>
> Carl is right on the money :-) Cloning is definitely necessary and is
> what I use in my single-process cache.  Think of the case where two
> different clients try to process the same form at roughly the same time
> (and are using the same catalyst process)
>
>  1. A requests a page gets the form first and initialises the cache
>  2. B requests the same page gets the same form object from the cache
>  3. A submits the form with errors using the same form object as B
> (from the cache)
>  4. B submits the form without errors but using the same form object
> as A (from the cache)
>
> Not too sure, but either A gets no errors or B gets the errors from A.
> There are a bunch of other similar cases, but the upshot is that we have
> to separate the objects used by different requests.
>

> **
> Ok, but if each user should have its own form, then how does the cache help
> the users?
> I thought that the forms could be saved without the data they contain...
> only the structure of the form, without any data, which should be the same
> for all users.
> In that case the program wouldn't need to parse the config files and
> wouldn't need to re-generate the form object, but only set that object with
> the data supplied by the user. Is it possible something like this?

Kahlil didn't say each user needed their own cache, he was describing
a reason why a cache that doesn't clone the form object would fail.
As long as the cache gives a clone of the original form each time it's
requested, there should be no problem.

> I just found that I need to put a login form on all the pages, so the speed
> of the entire site would decrease very much because of this...

A form framework has benefits, but it doesn't have to be used 100% of the time.
If the login form on all pages is static (just username / password
fields), you could probably hardcode the form html in your template
file.

Cheers,