[Html-widget] Rails-like form helpers - RFC for a new module

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 15:12:44 CEST 2006

I've uploaded a first version to
http://zby.aster.net.pl/HTML-Widget-DBIC-0.01.tar.gz

I am waiting for comments.

--
Zbyszek

PS From POD:

           # create a widget coupled with a db record
           my $widget $schema
, 'Tag', $item );

           # process a query
           my $result
           # and save the values from the query to the database
           $result->save_to_db();

METHODS
       create_from_config
           Method to create widget.  The parameters are configuration for
          all  the widget fields, DBIx::Class schema, the name of the
          DBIC Result-set and optionally a DBIC record (item)
          - to fill in the current  values in the form and as the target
          for saving the data, if not
           present when saving a new record will be created.

           The config is a reference to a list of configuration for
particular
           fields.  Like:
               my $config                    {
                       'foreign_class'  => 'Dvd',
                       'widget_element' => [ 'Select', { 'multiple' => 1 }
],
                       'name'           => 'dvds',
                       'label'          => 'Dvds',
                       'bridge_rel'     => 'dvdtags'
                   },
                   {
                       'widget_element' => [
                           'Textarea',
                           {
                               'rows' => 5,
                               'cols' => 60
                           }
                      ],
                       'constraints' => [
                           {
                               'max'        => '255',
                               'constraint' => 'Length',
                               'message'    => 'Should be shorten than 255
           characters'
                           },
                           {
                               'constraint' => 'All',
                               'message'    => 'The field is required'
                           }
                       ],
                       'name'  => 'name',
                       'label' => 'Name'
                   },
                   {
                       'primary_key' => 1,
                       'name'        => 'id',
                       'label'       => 'Id'
                   }
               ];

On 9/26/06, Carl Franks <fireartist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/09/06, Zbigniew Lukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > For now I am a bit stuck with the question about the interface.  If I
> make
> > it a subclass of HTML::Widget would it be considered bad form if I do
> > something like:

> > package HTML::Widget::Result
> >
> > sub save_to_db {
>
> I personally wouldn't mind. An alternative though, would be to
> override result() and rebless the object it returns into your own
> Result package.
>
> Carl

Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/