[Html-widget] formfu contributions?

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 20 17:48:07 GMT 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Carl Franks <fireartist at gmail.com>
To: html-widget at lists.rawmode.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:33:38 AM
Subject: Re: [Html-widget] formfu contributions?

On 19/03/07, John Napiorkowski <jjn1056 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> ...  One thing that I didn't like about HTML::Widget is how
> it make me feel like I was doing layout/declarative work in serveral
> places.  Typically I created my HTML::Widget forms by subclassing a
> custom catalyst model that I created to gloss over some of the
> things I hand trouble with.  Then this model would have a bunch of
> statements to create the form.  Although this was written in Perl,
> it was almost always all declarative code, no logic, so it's the
> kind of thing that would work well as a config file or as something
> embedded into the template.  Then I would have a separate template.
> So even though I could break the form down in the template in order
> to do very customized css and layout, it really felt like I was
> doing the same thing in two places and having a lot of class
> explosion.  And since the form stuff was in perl I couldn't assign
>  the grunt work to my designers in the same way my peers using
> JSP/JSF could do.
>
> Seems like formfu is a step toward fixing this, since the designers
> can work with the configuration file, as you mentioned below.

I think FormFu is powerful enough that it should really be a
last-resort to do anything in your template other than [% form %].
Really!

The form is generated from TT templates.
Each application has it's own copy of the template folder, so you can
make any changes you want.
If necesary, you can even make a copy of that folder for a single
form, and put the appropriate options in that forms config file, so it
uses the appropriate template folder.

If you want to make changes to a single field's markup, then copy an
existing template file, and set the field's filename() to the copy's
filename.

---
elements:
  - type: text
    name: foo
    filename: text_with_foo

There's also loads of class-names you can hook into, to do CSS.
See the $form->auto_*() methods - they're not all on by default.

Yeah, I'm starting to get it now that I've been playing with the latest.  Ideally I'd like my designers to have to do it all from CSS, that way I can better controll uniformity on the site.  I also think that having the templates available is very useful, mostly so that I can serve them via Jemplate for doing ajax stuff.

Seems like this is rocking along, I 'm going  try converting some of the old forms I did with HTML::Widget to this and see what happens.  I know it's a moving target but I could always work from a local copy for a time.

> BTW, I finally got my google account and have some time aside to
> work on my imager code and the abstraction code for loading
> configuration files.  Let me know what you think should be my next
> steps with this (I assume you'd like me to work out of a branch on
> the code)

It's not letting me add your email address as a project member -
what's your google ID?

Should just be "jjn1056 at yahoo.com" but maybe I did the wrong thing, I created an account at: "https://www.google.com/accounts/CreateAccount".  Let me know if I did the right thing.

Also, I've made a start on the Imager packages, because I couldn't
think of anything else as handy for testing the new Inflator /
Validator / Transformer functionality.

The svn address is:
http://html-formfu.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/HTML-FormFu-Imager

This is to provide an example of what *can* be done - not how the
Imager integration *should* be done - so suggestions / changes
welcome!

I expect this to be released as a seperate distribution so that Imager
isn't a prerequisite for HTML-FormFu.

Yeah, I totally agree, not everyone will want to have to compile the required c libs to make this work.  I'll take a look --john

Cheers,
Carl