[MojoMojo] MojoMojo extensions

hoelzro rob at hoelzro.net
Thu Nov 26 02:47:36 GMT 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 12:20 PM, Marcus Ramberg [via mojomojo] wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 2:08 PM, hoelzro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > I don't know how well this idea fits with MojoMojo's objectives, but I
> > figured I'd get it out into the ether for critiquing, and if people like it,
> > slated for a future release.
> >
> > I was thinking MM could use an extension mechanism similar to MediaWiki's.
> > Here's a summary of my ideas:
> >
> > - Additional page actions.  I don't have a concrete example of how this
> > would be used, but I can see how it would come in handy.
> > - Modification of existing page actions.  I don't know how this would work,
> > and if an overriden/augmented action were provided by another extension, we
> > would have to deal with the fun that is plugin load order.
> I am a bit of a sceptic to these two. Granted, the comment plugin adds
> some page actions, but the implementation of it is a bit of an
> abdomination in my opinion. What I really would like is support for
> external applications getting embedded at certain nodes of the wiki
> tho, for instance giving control to Angerwhale or mojolicious at /blog
> for instance, but still wrapped in the general design of the wiki. I'm
> not sure how feasible this is though.

I understand your trepidation with this variety of plugin; we could definitely hold off on that.

> > - Additional syntax.  This seems to be provided by the formatter stuff
> > already.
>
> Yepp
>
> > - Special pages.  These could all be under /special/, or they might exist
> > anywhere in the hierarchy (I think all existing under /special/ and adding
> > redirects if you want them would be a good option).  Special pages just
> > dispatch to extension controllers to deliver custom content, and can even
> > take arguments (ex. /special/calenders/home/Nov 2009).
>
> This seems somewhat similar to what I am talking about above.

Excellent.  Well, I think I'll start on an implementation of special pages because it interests me greatly.
As soon as I can log in to mojomojo.org, I'll write my notes on special pages there for critiquing and review.
For now, special pages will only reside under /special/, as that would be easier to implement; how does that sound?

> With regards
> Marcus Ramberg

-Rob