[northwestengland.pm] Donations to send-a-newbie for YAPC::EU::2010

Mark Keating m.keating at shadowcat.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 15:05:22 GMT 2010

Last year many individuals and companies donated money to the
send-a-newbie initiative run by Edmund von der Burg. It was a great
success. At the end of last year Edmund approached the EPO with the task
of organising a similar event this year as he was unable to because of
other commitments.

Therefore I come to you all to ask you to donate once again to this
excellent project, please make a donation at
send-a-newbie.enlightenedperl.org (or send your donation to
send-a-newbie at paypal.com (if you wish to make a donation in some other
manner then please contact Mark at m.keating(at)shadowcat.co.uk)). If
you made a donation last year, I thank you and would gratefully ask for
you to do so once more.[1]

If you are new to this idea allow me a few moments to describe it.

The send-a-newbie scheme will allow people to attend a Perl conference
(YAPC::EU for us, and this year YAPC::NA will have a scheme organised by
the Perl Foundation) if:

a. they have never attended a YAPC/Major Perl event previously;
b. they are financially unable to do so;
c. they work in/study/use Perl.

The only changes we have made to the terms of entry this year is to
broaden the scope. The Enlightened Perl Organisation members voted that
we manage this initiative on the sole condition that it was open to all
people regardless of age or circumstance (there were some minor
restrictions in the previous year that did not reflect our requirements).

This year we will be listing our sponsors on the website to express our
thanks[2] and because we believe in openess of information. A list of
names will appear that people can admire and give respect[3]. If you
would like to/do donate and don't want your name listed then please
contact Mark or Rosellyne and let them know and they will ensure that
you are not listed.

Thanks for your consideration, and thanks-in-advance to those who are
considering donating.

Kind regards

Mark

p.s. If you know of any list, forum where this information might be
posted then I would kindly ask that you repeat it there.

[1] Please, please, pretty please on bended knees :)

[2] An almost exact opposite of name and shame.

[3] Also they can perhaps feel sickened that they were too jaded to
support such a great idea [hint, hint].

--
Mark Keating BA (Hons)          |  Writer, Photographer, Cat-Herder
Managing Director               |  Shadowcat Systems Limited