[northwestengland.pm] IRC Server Software

Carl Johnstone carl.johnstone at gmgrd.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 15:55:40 GMT 2010

Smylers wrote:
> Or maybe we should be using something else instead of IRC?
>
> All suggestions and tips gratefully received.  Thanks.

Asumming you've got a linux box handy, there's probably going to be a
package available that you just need to install. I've done that in the
past - then it's just a matter of controlling access to the server. I'd
argue it's possibly easier to setup VPNs than have to expose a whole bunch
of different services and control access to them individually - but to some
degreee it depends what you've already got setup.

However I ditched our internal server in favour of a channel on
irc.perl.org. IRC already has enough basic ACLs in place, and what you're
doing probably isn't that interesting for the IRC server admins to listen in
:-)

You'll probably also want to adopt IM of some sort - most people are more
familiar with it than IRC.

Carl