[northwestengland.pm] LambdaLounge: Introduction to Idris with Conor Farrell, 18th June. (Pizza and drinks will be provided!)

Hakim C hakim.cassimally at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 17:23:09 GMT 2018

Hi all!

This month, we have a very generous sponsorship from Equal Experts
<https://www.equalexperts.com/> (a network of talented, experienced
software consultants)

who will be providing refreshments (pizza and drinks, both alcoholic and
non).

*When*: Monday 18th June. 7pm for 7:05

*Where*: MadLab at Plant NOMA https://madlab.org.uk/find-us/

*What*:  Conor Farrell (@SectoidCmdr <https://twitter.com/SectoidCmdr>)
will give us an Introduction to Idris <https://www.idris-lang.org/>.

"Idris is a purely functional language that has a number of interesting
features like dependent types and totality checking. It can also be used as
a proof assistant, similar to Coq and Agda.

In this talk I’ll cover development using Idris and how you can use types
to help you write your code - rather than thinking of types just as things
that need to be checked, we can instead see them as a plan for producing a
robust program by following the three steps of type, define and refine.

You don’t need any experience with Idris or functional programming as I’ll
be starting from the basics, but if you do happen to know Haskell you’ll
probably see some similarities!"

Please sign up on EventBrite (FREE ticket) at
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/an-introduction-to-idris-with-conor-farrell-tickets-46544100658

All the best,
Hakim