[Number-phone] Potential breaking change in the next release of Number::Phone

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Sep 9 19:39:27 GMT 2021

The next release of Number::Phone is going to (I hope - if it actually
works) include a bug-fix for the case where you ask for an object
representing a number in one jurisdiction but provide a number in
another jurisdiction. For example, this will now fail:

     Number::Phone->new('JE', '01481256789')

because you specifically said "here comes a Jersey number" but then
provided a Guernsey number.

For backward compatibility, though, in the case where one country is
squatting on another country's number plan, if you say "here comes a
host country number", but then provide a sub-country number, you'll get
an object back anyway. ie this (asking for GB, but providing a GG
number) is fine:

     Number::Phone->new('GB', '01481256789')

I very much doubt that this will affect anyone apart from the chap who
asked for this change
(https://github.com/DrHyde/perl-modules-Number-Phone/issues/101), but I
would appreciate eyes on the sequence of commits in the git repo
starting on the 24th of August, in particular any suggestions for how to
improve the documentation if it is unclear.

There is a quarterly release due, but I shall delay that for at least a
week pending feedback on this.

--
David Cantrell