[OSUNIX-dev] OSUNIX as ILLUMOS replacement?

Stamos Tolias stamtolias at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 14:06:11 GMT 2011

2011/4/11 Damian Wojsław <damian at wojslaw.pl>:
> Quoting Stamos Tolias <stamtolias at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hello OSUNIX list,
>>
>> I've been very dissatisfied what is happening at ILLUMOS and I found
>> many many others which are suffering from Garrett D'Amore/NEXENTA and
>> their narrow-minded, ZFS centric dictatorship and cathedral
>> development model.
>> We are going to fork ILLUMOS and make it the place we think will be
>> the real successor to OPENSOLARIS with a different development model
>> where multiple equals, each owning a functionality, work together in a
>> bazaar of ideas and dreams.
>> Would OSUNIX be willing to become an ILLUMOS replacement and host us?
>>
>> Stamos
>>

> Would you please state and give examples?

I'm not free to give much examples because many of them have only be
provided under NDA from the companies involved willing to sponsor a
fork of Illumos. But I can say this:
Garrett has driven everyone who is not of value for Nexenta off the project.
He's saying he'll welcome every project and contribution but when it
comes to the guts he and Nexenta are not willing to share control.
With him as leader and Nexenta as almighty power there won't be a port
to MIPS or other architectures.

With him as leader there won't be a participation of other major
companies like Nvidia or AMD. Both already said that they will not
invest or support Illumos as long as Garrett leads the project as
benevolent dictator who can block contributions. Both companies are
not interested in sponsoring Illumos to save Nexenta the licensing
costs if Garret does not cease his omnipotent control.

With him as leader there won't be participation of companies which may
compete with Nexenta in the same market. You may not have noticed by
Nexenta controls and employs all of the advocates who can block
contributions.

Garrett ruined many opportunities to grow Illumos by driving value
people and companies away or force them into submission. The only way
to move forward is to fork out of this situation, make a clean start
and get sponsored by the companies Garrett has driven away.
Fortunately Garrett has created such as mess that we have ample
funding to run the fork :-)

Stamos