[Xml-compile] XML::Compile::Schema validation on xs:ID has problem

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Fri May 16 09:20:23 BST 2008

* Daniel Ruoso (daniel at ruoso.com) [080516 07:40]:
> Sex, 2008-05-16 às 08:50 +0200, Mark Overmeer escreveu:
> > If I cannot decide based on a good argument, for instance because there
> > are some formal decissions by the XML design board about it, then I will
> > not implement it (even when it is easy to do)

> What about a set of 'strictness' flags for this "should be, but not
> deadly" things? The flags could even be set globally (I don't see a
> system accepting different levels of strictness in XML). If the flag is
> set, it dies, else, it warns.

This puts the responsibility of correct behavior with the user.  I do not
like that.  Most users do not read the specs.

The XML specification says that all messages shall be validated, and if
not correct, the message shall be refused.  So, the answer I am looking
for is whether the re-appearance of an ID in a message is a capitical
offence, or should be treated mildly.  That will dictate whether it should
be an error or a warning.

There is a lot of "informal specification" with XML Schemas, which you
need to know for good interoperability.

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net