[Xml-compile] XML::Compile::Schema validation on xs:ID has problem

Mark Overmeer solutions at overmeer.net
Fri May 16 11:14:04 BST 2008

* Daniel Ruoso (daniel at ruoso.com) [080516 08:55]:
> Sex, 2008-05-16 às 10:20 +0200, Mark Overmeer escreveu:
> > This puts the responsibility of correct behavior with the user.  I do not
> > like that.  Most users do not read the specs.
>
> The point is... If the specification is not 'strict' on a definition,
> there's no "correct" behavior. There are good practices and bad
> practices, but they are all valid (in terms of compliance to spec), a
> framework should promote the good practice (make "die" by default), but
> should allow the variations that are valid according to the spec...

Thanks for your input.

Are you sure that you are not confusing the regulations set for RFCs
(from the IETF) "be strict in your implementation, but forgiving in what
you receive", to the regulations for XML (by W3C) which are "be correct
or you'll be refused"?

Yesterday, at the half-annual Dutch Unix User Group conference, I had
two separate discussions with small groups of UNIX/Internet die-hards.
And everyone agreed that the RFCs approach was a very bad idea: bad
clients and servers do often not know that they are bad.  Spam filters,
for instance, suffer from the consequences; they have to work with
untrustable meta-data from justified but broken mailers.  The XML concept
is much preferred.

XML::Compile is not to be forgiving like RFCs, is not to be sloppy and
DWIMming like Perl (use SOAP::Lite if you want that), but is ment to be
really XML compliant, also in this political aspect.  In this particular
case, I am still unsure what "compliant" is, because the usual documents
are unclear about the requirement to enforce uniqueness of IDs within
the document.  It is better not to implement a check, than having to
change the interface in a later version.

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net