[Xml-compile] Is XML::Compile the right tool for writing a SOAP server?

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Sat Mar 21 20:25:09 GMT 2009

* Petar Shangov (pshangov at yahoo.com) [090321 15:57]:
> I spent some time yesterday studying the examples and testing
> XML::Compile::SOAP::Daemon. I got stuck at one point where XML::C:S was
> looking for an 'element' in my wsdl message definition where I had a
> 'type' instead (I am writing from home now and I do not have the code
> in front of me so I cannot be more specific ...) Does XML::C:S have a
> specific preference for document-style soap or does it tolerate rpc as
> well (my current wsdl is based on the older wsdl for the SOAP-Lite based
> service so it is rpc-literal)?

Are you using the latest 2.* versions?
Send me what you try, and I will take a look at it.  I may learn your
needs, and therewith improve the implementation and/or documentation.

> Furthermore, this is a milti-user application and I do not know how
> well Net::Daemon can scale for multiple users compared to apache.

Probably Net::Daemon is more straight-forward so faster.  Depends on what
you configure.  It is quite easy to merge tasks in any daemon.

> Anyway, at the end of the day I decided to try to use SOAP::Lite for
> the soap layer, and have XML::C handle only the serialization of perl
> data to XML.

Then you have to maintain two large modules.

> There is also SOAP::WSDL, which I have yet to look at.

SOAP::WSDL has many limitations (have used [and rewritten] it intensively)
Its successor is better: SOAP::WSDL2.

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net