[Xml-compile] WSDL caching

Brian Phillips bpphillips+ml at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 18:59:42 GMT 2010

Hello - Does anyone have any suggestions (i.e. best practices?) related to
caching WSDLs?  We have an internal service here at $work that recently
changed their WSDL which caused our XML::Compile::SOAP client to break
(there was an extra element added to one of the complex types).  We
currently check the WSDL into our source code repository so we would have to
coordinate a release with the other service in order to not have things
break.  We also have some C++ code that uses gSOAP that did not break since
gSOAP discards elements that aren't listed in the WSDL when parsing XML
messages.

Is there any option that can be set in XML::Compile to mimic the behavior
we're seeing with gSOAP?  I realize this is probably not completely safe but
it makes me nervous that a service outside of my control can change their
WSDL slightly by adding an optional element to their WSDL that breaks our
client.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how me might handle this more elegantly?
 Perhaps retrieving the WSDL from the service more frequently?  Perhaps the
service should really be using some sort of versioned WSDLs?

Thanks,
Brian Phillips