[Xml-compile] WSDL caching

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Wed Jan 13 19:32:28 GMT 2010

* Brian Phillips (bpphillips+ml at gmail.com) [100113 18:59]:
> Hello - Does anyone have any suggestions (i.e. best practices?) related
> to caching WSDLs?  We have an internal service here at $work that
> recently changed their WSDL which caused our XML::Compile::SOAP
> client to break (there was an extra element added to one of the
> complex types).

The "official" idea behind SOAP, is that you download a new version of
the WSDL regularly. But also that does not help: how often is enough?
I don't like that "dynamic" behavior, because I want to run tests before
changing my system.

> me nervous that a service outside of my control can change their WSDL
> slightly by adding an optional element to their WSDL that breaks our client.

Either you follow XML schema's or not.

Probably you got the error:
   element `new-elem' not processed at `...'

Of course, it is possible to disable the error with a flag. However,
probably it is saner to improve your internal procedures. Now they
add elements, later they change other things. There are a zillion
possibilities you cannot prepare for.

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net