[Xml-compile] multiple WSDL files, the first of which does not have a service definition

Karen Etheridge perl at froods.org
Thu Oct 4 16:31:10 GMT 2012

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 01:01:25PM +0200, Mark Overmeer wrote:
> * Karen Etheridge (perl at froods.org) [121003 20:41]:
> > I have a WSDL split out over multiple files, with the <wsdl:service> tag
> > defined in the second file.
> > I am loading them via:
> > my $wsdl = XML::Compile::WSDL11->new($wsdlfiles[0]);
> > $wsdl->addWSDL($_) foreach @wsdlfiles[1 .. $#wsdlfiles-1];
>
> The provision for multiple WSDLs is to be able to support multiple
> XML protocols within one client or server.  It is not my intention
> to support breaking-up WSDLs into components.  The only accepted
> concept is import and includes within the type definition.
> I do not consider this a bug: it is just how WSDLs are made.

Oh, is this not legal?  The first WSDL file does contain a <wsdl:import>
tag referencing the second file, so it is the expectation of the schema
author that all WSDL files would be loaded.

I'm looking for mention of this in official specs - if I can find something
indicating that it is not permitted, I can take this back to the schema
author and request that they merge the files back into one.