[Catalyst-dev] [Fwd: [Catalyst] Minor Problem With Tutorial]

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Mon Aug 14 22:28:14 CEST 2006

All good points.  Now that I've thought some more, I think our first
goal should be some follow-along documentation, with pictures.  POD is
great for CPAN developers, because it's what we're used to (reading and
writing), but for people who are just getting into perl, it's not the
best.  Someone posted to Chicago.pm wondering where all the perl
documentation was, because it wasn't in MS help format "like PHP".  Now
personally, I'm all for telling people to install man and do man perl,
man perlfunc, etc.  (and I think that's easier than HTML docs), but if
shiny HTML docs makes them fall madly in love with catalyst, then let's
go for it :)

However, I do see the benefit of "look at some pictures in the web
browser and see if my screen matches theirs".  In fact, I think I will
push this onto my todo queue.

(Which right now is looking like:
 <fix some HTML::Tidy bugs> <fix unicode issues in angerwhale> <push out
HTML::Tidy 2.0> <add image support to angerwhale> <write article about
caching and catalyst> <write pictorial catalyst howto>, in case anyone
cares :)

I'll be around on IRC this evening (America/Chicago, -0500), so feel
free to chat with me there.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway