[Catalyst-dev] Status,stuff and nonsense - public-facing sites

Brian Cassidy brian.cassidy at nald.ca
Fri May 12 20:21:25 CEST 2006

Hey All,

This isn't a point Matt mentioned likely due to the fact that it's not
directly tied to the code, but IMO a relevant point.

As we're going through some of these changes it's becoming more and more
obvious that our public facing sites (catalyst.perl.org and friends) are
more and more useless.

I understand there's some wiki reorganization going on right now, though I'd
like to take it one step further (as previously volunteered).

1) Overhaul catalyst.perl.org/catalystframework.org

The design is stagnant and devoid of any meaningful content. Most links are
to off-site urls. I'm sure we could come up with better info for the front
page as well as catalyst themed docs and download pages.

2) Create a blog for news release purposes

I realize that there's still the "random" blog, but I'd like something tied
to the front page so we can see "May 12, 2006 - Catalyst 5.699999999
Released" in a more prominent place.

3) Create a Planet Catalyst

Since most of us already have our own site for blogging, the obvious way to
merge them would be via a "planet". I know marcus had planted the seeds for
this to happen, though I'll take that off his hands if that's okay.

4) Attempt to tie trac in to the fray

Matt has told me before that trac is a pain to theme. I'd still like it to
match, to some degree, the rest of the site.

--

Anyway, those points are basically listed in order of priority in my mind.
I'd appreciate any comments on what I'm proposing.

-Brian