[Catalyst-dev] Re: PPM Catalyst/Manual.html clash.

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Jul 17 13:32:13 GMT 2007

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 06:26:01AM +0200, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> [2007-07-14 15:30]:
> > Before we start implementing workarounds for PPM brokenness,
> > could you file a bug against PPM and see if active state will
> > resolve it?
>
> How do you expect them to resolve it? I don’t see how a computer
> (as opposed to a human) should be able to tell that Manual.pm
> supersedes Manual.pod without some mechanism to say so, and such
> a mechanism simply does not exist in the CPAN toolchain.
>
> (If I had to come up with a heuristic, I would in fact consider
> `.pod` to be more specific than `.pm` – exactly the opposite of
> what Catalyst would need.)

Actually, that's exactly what perldoc does and it works absolutely fine
- and is another reason we need to continue to ship a Manual.pod.

> I suggest simply renaming the file to something equally
> attractive-looking, like UserManual.pod. That would remove the
> ambiguity and would still catch all the flies that Manual.pod
> attracts. Is there a problem I am overlooking with that?

Is therere a problem I'm overlooking with my proposol to rename Manual.pm
but leave the package declaration intact that leads you to suggest the exact
same thing in reverse but less pretty?