[Catalyst-dev] website designs

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 16:34:29 GMT 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 2:29 AM, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 06:20:54PM -0700, Jay K wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Following up on the discussion on #catalyst-dev.  I spoke with a
> > designer friend of mine and we're going to get together tomorrow night
> > and discuss over a few beers.
>
> There were already a number of proposed designs last time we went over
> this.

Each with their own problems, making them difficult to properly use.

> The problem isn't that we don't have a design.

The problem is that we don't have a design to put content, and it gets
tiring to try to write content in a way that isn't displayed right because
if you want to change the display... well, whoops, you're designing again.

> The problem is we don't have a working mojomojo for the dev site and we
> don't
> have copy written for a new main site.

No, I have that setup and people are working on content.

> I already have code for the main site.
>
> Can people please stop bikeshedding the fucking design and get on with
> getting
> the copy written so we can use one of the existing ones?

In the spirit of JFDI, this type of attitude is what is making this so
difficult and making everything so difficult to get done.  Basically, the
people who are bikeshedding are the people not JFDI.  At this point, we've
taken the discussions elsewhere so the people who are JFDI aren't distracted
by the "opinions" of people not doing anything but offering their advice.

> If nobody likes it, sure, we can change it later, but let's fix the actual
> proximate problems first ...

To say that the design isn't tied to the problem in composing content is
like saying that Catalyst must run on perl 5.6 before we could release 5.8.

Basically, anybody is welcome to come in and help.  I will be very pissy at
people offering opinions without doing anything.

And the book blurb is in svn, so how about you guys look at it rather than
keep talking about bikeshedding shit?

-J