[Catalyst-dev] Re: nginx patch to Engine::FastCGI?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 14:24:05 GMT 2008

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 6:08 AM, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis at gmx.de> wrote:
> * J. Shirley <jshirley at gmail.com> [2008-11-01 16:30]:
>> (Speaking of mongrel, it seems roughly similar to ::Prefork --
>> has anybody done any comparisons?)
>
> That's what it is. I have no idea about Mongrel's performance,
> since I've never used Rails in anger, but it appears that Mongrel
> is written in C in large part. If someone who has the means to
> run a few tests easily finds that it's significantly faster than
> C:E:HTTP::Prefork or any other Perl option it might be possible
> to port Mongrel to Perl as an XS Perl module without too much
> work just by rewrapping the C parts.

I just did a quick RTFS, the http11 C parts that have been written
could be wrapped in XS easily (hopefully).  I am 99% sure the Ruby and
Perl licenses are compatible.  This would be a great addition, really,
since then we could automatically get support for all the various
*+mongrel+app recipes.

> Oh yeah, and there's an HTTP server implementation in AxKit2, and
> of course the new kid on the block, Mojo…
>
>> I could possibly submit a patch to nginx, but I figure that
>> could be more work...
>
> It is also the approach that would benefit everyone, though
> (other frameworks besides Catalyst, be they Perl or in other
> languages)…

If it is another variable, then it benefits everybody.  If it is just
us out on an island, it doesn't benefit anybody else.  I'm trying hard
to figure out just -how- this doesn't affect other groups that want to
anchor their apps at /myapp/ -- could it be they just don't care much
for $c->uri_for behaviors?