[Catalyst-dev] Documentation/Wiki

Jillian Rowe jir2004 at qatar-med.cornell.edu
Wed Jun 4 06:52:46 GMT 2014

Hi John,

I think the areas most lacking are setting up a good development
environment where nothing really needs to be changed besides
apache/nginx configuration to move onto production. There is some
documentation out there, but I found it to be a bit incomplete for my
needs, and there were a few important points where for whatever reason
what was written just didn't work. I thought most other things were easy
enough to find just from what was out there in the wild ;) . For the
development environment I mostly wound up taking things from what people
wrote for other frameworks like ruby on rails.

I also think there could be some more best practice methods when having
several applications on a single server. Things like changing your
skeleton from MyApp/root/{src,static} to MyApp/root/myapp/{src,static}
so your paths can be aliased as /myapp1/static, /myapp2/static, so on
and so forth. I also moved quite a bit out from the catalyst skeleton to
my own perl modules, which maybe goes a bit more in a general perl and
building models kind of thing, but it bears mentioning.

(This is long, but I don't know how to explain it except with an example).

There's also keeping your config files insync.

For instance in my skeleton I have

MyApp/{catalyst stuff}
MyApp/bin - for my custom executable scripts
MyApp/conf - for my config files

MyApp/conf/catalyst - for catalyst config files
MyApp/conf/nginx - for nginx files
MyApp/conf/nginx/myapp.nginx.dev.conf - nginx dev file using the build
in catalyst server and proxy pass
MyApp/conf/nginx/myapp.nginx.prod.conf - nginx production file using fastcgi
MyApp/conf/tmuxifier - to handle my tmux sessions

Then I have a inotifier-hookable (its a perl module) script that watches
those files for changes and syncs them over to the approapriate
location. That way I have all my application specific files under one
git repo, and that makes me happy, and the files go to their appropriate
locations, which makes nginx/apache/tmuxifier happy.

Best,
Jillian