[Catalyst] A different approach to static content

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Tue Aug 16 20:36:49 CEST 2005

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com wrote:

> I guess I may be missing the point but why not serve the static files
> outside of the mod_perl/catalyst owned url space and be done with it.
>
> -Wade

You can. Sometimes that's not possible, or desireable. If the Catalyst
app has to live at /, you may still want static content littered around
/, like /images, /css, /downloads, /flash, etc. Maybe the Catalyst app
is being hoisted into an existing site with static content everywhere in /.

There's many different situations, and many different ways to tackle
static content. They're all right depending on the situation. I'm simply
looking at another option; with [theoretically] less or no configuration
changes needed on the web server to coexist with static content.

-=Chris