[Catalyst] Meios: A Catalyst Photo Gallery Example

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sat Aug 20 03:04:51 CEST 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 03:38:47PM -0700, Max Demian wrote:
> On 8/19/05, Christopher H. Laco <claco at chrislaco.com> wrote:
> > Matt S Trout wrote:

> > > Any view system that can't do that automagically from a single set of
> > > templates is insufficiently advanced.
> > >
> > > Watch This Space.
> > >

> > Right.
> >
> > #1. Browser sniffing on the server-side is flawed. Always.
> > #2. Forms [and your site] should always work without javascript. Always.
> >   [Well, with the exception of hardcore Intranets]
> >
> > Any deviation from those two rules almost always leads to problems.
> > Now client-side feature sniffing.. A O K.
> >

> The best practice at this point is to have a fully functional
> javascript-less/regular forms interface and have your javascript
> library attach itself onload and override the onsubmit,etc. handlers
> to make your page ajax-ified.

Right. Precisely. And your view system should help that work as cleanly as
possible, with as little effort as possible on your part.

If it won't work in lynx, it's unacceptable. But it'd be nice if it could
also do Mad Javascript Spoo in whatever browser available, and maybe render
itself as XUL if it spots a Moz browser and the client clicks "yes please",
and perhaps as a stream of Tk events to a client app, and ...

Most of this comes into the "pipedream" category. But I'll see how far I
manage to get :)

--
     Matt S Trout           Website: http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk
  Technical Director        E-mail:  mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk