[Catalyst] New default screen for Catalyst.

John Wang johncwang at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 18:37:54 CEST 2005

It's good to provide some more information but I agree with Sebastian. For
people unfamiliar with Catalyst, I think a link to a tutorial might be more
useful than a page of recommended components. Some additional comments from
the pov a recent convert:

1) Is there a reason why HTML::Template is not recommended? There are a lot
of H::T users out there that specifically choose it to avoid the
complexities of some of the other solutions. I think H::T users can get a
lot of benefit from Catalyst and don't see a reason to turn them off. Since
H::T is less framework-like than some other solutions, Catalyst might even
be able to attract a greater following from those users. There is a view
class already so it's good to go.

2) I normally expect things recommended on the default page to be production
ready, esp since Catalyst is going to be v5.5. If DBIx::Class is going to be
mentioned without any caveats, I think the POD needs to be updated since it
currently reads:

> It's currently considered EXPERIMENTAL - bring this near a
> production database at your own risk!

Someone who doesn't know anything about Catalyst or DBIx::Class might wonder
why something with such a strong warning is being recommended and
extrapolate that to Catalyst. Someone might also have to explain the choice
to management types. If the POD is not going to be updated, some kind of
extra note should be included.

John