[Catalyst] Catalyst update issues

Peter Edwards peterdragon at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 6 16:10:01 CEST 2006

>> After unpacking Template-Toolkit-2.14.tar.gz
>> # perl Makefile.PL TT_HELP
>> gives the install params, e.g. TT_PREFIX=/some/dir.
>> Looks like you can pass these with 's conf OPT VALUE'.
>
>OK, how do you pre-guess this stuff? It's only because things went wrong
>with TT that I had reason to go back through the output and investigate.

I think you just have to try installing some packages a few times, note what
the correct settings are for your environment, then use those for either
manual or scripted installations. There are a variety of approaches taken by
different CPAN packages, e.g. to suppress testing, so it's not trivial to
get right. Some packages need platform version-specific hacks. Then some
CPAN prerequisite chains you can only get in the right order by trial and
error because not all the package authors wrote good Makefile.PL files.
I do like Matt's installer though, admirably concise :)

>Also, similar problem with Mail::SpamAssassin - it asks for the
>administrator email address. I see the question and the prompt, etc,
>I've tried resizing windows as per a previous post, yet typing the
>response (which appears) and pressing enter (which doesn't seem to do
>very much at all) doesn't work.
Yikes. Try looking in its Makefile.PL to see what it's doing and whether you
can pass params as environment variables or flags instead.

>I thought CPANPLUS was the second coming, ro something like that ...
So many standards, so little time :->

Regards, Peter