[Catalyst] Catalyst on Windows advice needed

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 21:50:10 CEST 2006

On 4/18/06, Stuart McGraw <smcg4191 at frii.com> wrote:
> DBD-SQLite-1.12
>   had a zillion C errors, so installed v1.11 from ppm.

Pretty weird. Here it builds correctly. Are you sure you ran Visual
Studio's "vcvars.bat" before running the CPAN shell? It sets up some
required environment variables.

But you should probably really stick to 1.11 for now because, although
it builds correctly, one 1.12 test case fails under Win32.

(btw: I'm using VS2003, not VS6.0)

> DBIx-Class-0.06001
>   many tests ran but lots of these errors:
>   t\cdbi-t\22-self_referential........Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x23
>   69e10, Perl interpreter: 0x162445c at C:/Perl/site/lib/SQL/Abstract/Limit.pm
>   line 325.

This is normal. Well, it shouldn't be happening and I feel that when I
use GCC compiled stuff I get even more of those. But it works alright.
Only while running the test cases this weird messages pop up.

> Test::WWW::Mechanize
> Authen::Htpasswd

Mechanize and Authen::Htpasswd (along with XMLRPC) are the only two
modules that refuse to be installed under Win32, from my experience.
Everything else should work fine.

> Also, I'd prefer to use the cpan packages directly as much
> as possible to reduce my dependence on a middle-
> man.

I used to rely only on PPMs until the day that I needed a module which
wasn't available as a PPM because it required external libraries.
Since that day, I almost completely dumped PPM. I only use it
sometimes for some modules which I really can't manage to build and
are available at UWinnipegs repository.

>   Couldn't load "tutorial::View::TToolkit", "Invalid CODE attribute: Private
>   at C:/xx/tutorial/script/../lib/tutorial/View/TToolkit.pm line 6
>   BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ...

In tutorial::View::TToolkit there's a subroutine with a "Private"
attribute. I think subroutine attributes such as "Private" are only
available to be used inside Controller classes, not on Views, so that
might be your problem.

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.