[Catalyst] Using Log4perl under Apache, logs created with root for owner & group

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Apr 25 18:59:27 CEST 2006

Ian MacDonald wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just switched our logging to use Catalyst::Log::Log4perl and have a
> problem because the logs are being created with owner & group of root.
> Logging occurs ok during request handling (not sure why as apache is run
> by user apache) but we have some jobs which take too long to complete so
> are forking other scripts to handle them (simply using system()), and
> these scripts (which are also run by apache) fail to open the logs due
> to permission error.
>
> I've can work around it for now by setting umask to 0000 in the Log4perl
> config file but this is obviously not ideal, and I'd also like to hear
> if there's a better/more Catalyst way of handling my long jobs.

Apache starts off as root, then setuid's to the appropriate user. Of course by
that point it already has a filehandle to the logfile open.

The trick on a *n?x box is simple - chgroup the directory to the group apache
runs as and turn the setgid bit on on the directory so all files created
within it get that group ownership.